I want to humbly thank Momoseita for nominating me for a Versatile Blogger Award. I’m deeply touched that people are reading what I have to write and that it is (hopefully) strengthening the community of breast cancer survivors, those newly diagnosed, caregivers, friends and more.
When I found out I had breast cancer, I was pissed off. My answer to that anger was creating this blog with the hope that I could connect to other women who were going through the same thing, to create a space for advocacy, to let family and friends know what is going on with me and, selfishly, to vent from time to time. I am most grateful to the women whose blogs I have been reading who inspire me every day.
As part of the rules of winning the award, I have to tell you seven things about myself.
1. I am a native New Yorker. I’ve never lived anywhere else. I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Staten Island, lived in Manhattan during college, moved to Queens and am now back in Brooklyn where I live with my husband and 2 1/2 year old son.
2. My secret bad habit is that I like to lick my plate. I love sauce and I can’t stand it when sauce is left over on a plate and I just have to lick it clean. Of course, I don’t do this in public but I do it at home all the time.
3. I’m deathly afraid of cockroaches. I seriously can’t handle them. We get really big waterbugs (a kind name for gigantic roaches with wings) in our apartment. I can’t go near them. I run into another room and hide. Once, when Oliver was three months old there was a roach the size of a mouse running around the house. It was so big, Raid wouldn’t even kill it. I called my husband and begged him to come home to take care of it. He didn’t.
4. I love my work as a teaching artist but if I could choose another career, I’d be a travel photographer. I love taking pictures and I love to travel. What could be better than getting paid to take pictures while I explore a new culture?
5. My favorite movies are When Harry Met Sally, The Princess Bride, Rear Window, and Life is Beautiful. My favorite books are Interpreter of Maladies, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Night Circus and The Time Traveler’s Wife. My favorite musicals are A Chorus Line, Anything Goes, Fun Home and Into The Woods. My favorite plays are Macbeth, The Normal Heart, Black Watch, Hedda Gabler, The Importance of Being Earnest and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. My favorite dessert is a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie. My favorite food is mashed potatoes and stinky cheese (not together).
6. I can’t walk in high heels. My mom never let me wear them. She told me I couldn’t walk in them so I never learned how. I’ve never owned a pair of stiletto heels because I’d never be able to get five feet without toppling over.
7. I can be a harsh judge of people at first but I am very loyal to my friends. I’ve worked really hard on opening up when I first meet someone and I think I have made huge improvements. I need to do better.
To pay it forward, I’d like to nominate some other great blogs I have started to read for the Versatile Blogger Award.